This weekend when a little impromptu get together popped up I decided to whip up a few treats, including this pudding which I had been craving for a while. It was pretty easy to make and also a big hit. The only thing I would change for next time is that I need a glass bowl or glass jars so that I can showcase all the pretty layers.
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup + 1 tsp flour
3 cups whole milk
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
6 oz. vanilla wafers (about half of a box)
3 bananas sliced
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/8 cup powdered sugar
A few dashes salt
1. Whisk milk and eggs in a bowl and pour into heavy sauce pan. Add sugar, flour, and salt and whisk until smooth.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 20 minutes, or until thickened. You can add another 1 tsp. of flour if it does not thicken after 20 minutes (I had to add more flour). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
3. Arrange 1/3 of the vanilla wafers in the bottom of a serving dish. Top with one of the sliced bananas, followed by 1/3 of the custard. Repeat until all the custard is used, which will be about 3 layers.
4. Meanwhile, beat whipping cream at medium speed with electric mixer (you can use up to 1 cup of cream). When foamy gradually add the powdered sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Spread over top of pudding.
5. Cover and chill for 8 hours— it will be cold and creamy and delicious!
The nilla wafers get more cake-y after spending time in the pudding. I love it.