For some reason I have yet to post this recipe, although Slip and I were making it pretty much weekly during my spring semester. I have been on a real sweet potato kick in recent months. I love them because they’re so versatile, healthy, and filling. This meal takes about 30 minutes to put together, so it’s really easy if you’re having a busy night but want something fresh and cozy.
Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes
Adapted from Pinch of Yum
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 4-5 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bake sweet potatoes, either in the microwave or oven. I prefer the microwave on a busy night— pierce all over with a fork and bake for 4-4:30 minutes on each side. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut sweet potatoes in half and let cool at least 5 minutes. While sweets are cooling, saute onions (and garlic if you want) in olive oil until translucent, a few minutes. Add spinach and cook 3 minutes longer, until spinach has wilted down.
3. Scrape sweet potato out of it’s peel, leaving a small layer so peels can stand on their own. Turn sweet potato peels skin side up on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and bake for 5 minutes until skin is crispy.
4. Meanwhile, mash together sweet potato with mascarpone cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in spinach mixture and chickpeas. Once potato skins have crisped, fill with sweet potato mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese on top is melted and bubbly. These can additionally be topped with green onions or bacon. Enjoy!